Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Men of the Depression

I have been thinking today about the Great Depression since that is the direction we seem to be heading. And I've been thinking about my reaction to being laid off. I have to think the men of the Great Depression probably didn't get to feeling the way I have.

They didn't have time to get that way. There was no unemployment, there was no FDIC protection, there wasn't a thousand government agencies to take care of you; you had to do it yourself. Either you could lay in the gutter and feel sorry for yourself or you could go out in search of work, any work, to sustain yourself.

Some of these people lost everything. The Joads from The Grapes of Wrath were a fictional representation of the thousands of families that were hardest hit. They lost their home, nearly all of their belongings, and watched the earth turn to uninhabitable dust all around them. Former neighbors and friends bulldozed their homes as a means of survival for their families. 

And then I look at myself. I still have a house, a car, a full refrigerator, a TV, internet, what do I have to be so depressed about compared to the Joads? I only lost my job, they lost it all. Tom Joad had only a few minutes to reflect on what he had lost before he HAD to go in search of work; I've had a month and could continue on for several more before I felt any pain.

The question is do I compare up to the men who made it through the depression or have I just become another whining spoiled American? My grandfather didn't sit around during the depression, he worked for a farmer for a dollar a day - and that was a well earned dollar. The days were long, the work still backbreaking. He eventually went to work for the Civilian Conservation Corps building roads in western North Dakota until World War II started. 

I can't imagine he was in a great mood throughout this time period, but then how much time did he have to reflect on it? It was work or starve - and he sure as hell wouldn't ever become a beggar. But what about myself? I can probably collect railroad unemployment after July first, but I feel like such a leech in taking it (even though it is taken only from railroad retirement funds which is what I have been being taxed on separately since working for the railroad). It seems like I should be out there doing whatever in necessary instead of sitting around and whining about what has happened.

I used to think I would have made it through the Great Depression; I used to think I would never become one of those whining Americans that leeches off of others; now though, I'm not so sure I am who I think I am.

1 comment:

  1. it's amazing how adversity brings about a different lens through which we can look at our lives. We begin to see ourselves for who we really are and not so much for who we perceive ourselves to be.

    and great depression in mind or not, you weren't there. your life has taken a turn that is a lot for you to handle. don't start bagging on yourself too much for being overwhelmed. your life is your life. what is tough for you is tough for you and there's no shame or blame in that. don't start thinking that your problems are so much less than those who had different problems in a different era.

    at the same time, don't allow yourself to wallow forever in misery. take some time to deal with your confusion, with your whatever you're feeling and then, when you're ready to face the world again, do it. don't force or rush yourself because of what men had to do 90 years ago.

    this will pass and you'll be stronger because of it. i promise you.

    ReplyDelete