Tuesday, March 24, 2009

What Happened to our Sense of Decency?

I sometimes wonder if people no longer have shame. Has our culture of do-what-you-feel and non-judgement finally taken away any sense of decency? Have people become so self-centered and selfish that they feel they can get away with anything?

Why do I ask this? I took the Metra train into Chicago today starting out of Fox Lake. Very few people boarded at Fox Lake, myself, a few families, with kids, and a couple of younger people. Oh yes, and then there was this woman that sat behind me. She was on the cell phone not one minute out of the station. So what's the problem?

It was her subject matter and vulgar language.  For 20 minutes I had to listen to her tell her boyfriend she hates him because he stinks like other women. I also had to listen to her then scream at him about where she place a jar with money in it. And I do mean scream! There's no way not everyone in that car heard her. Lace that with "colorful" language. Remember, I said there were kids on this train.

At no point did she even attempt to keep her voice down which tells me she doesn't care if people heard her. What was only important to her was her cell phone call. There was no shame, no decency. 

I'm not saying we should go back to the Victorian Era, but really, where has our decency gone?

No comments:

Post a Comment